Commercial sUAS Pilot
FAA Part 107 RPIC Exam Preparation Program
sUAS: small Unmanned Aerial Systems (drones)
RPIC: Remote Pilot in Command
Commercial RPIC sUAS Pilots:
• Provide unmanned aerial support service to clients in a variety of industries
• Develop sUAS flight plans in accordance with FAA regulations
• Assist in data processing of imagery collected during sUAS flights
• Coordinate and conduct sUAS flight operations, testing, and training
• Provide crew leadership for any anomalies or emergency situations
This 3-part Commercial Drone Pilot job training program prepares you to pass the FAA Part 107 RPIC exam necessary to receive RPIC Certification. Program includes:
• Aircraft Performance, National Airspace, Operations, Regulations, Weather
• Flight training with various types of sUAS (drones)
• Learning to assist established Commercial sUAS operators in “real-life” situations
A minimum score of 70% is required to pass the final FAA Part 107 exam.
This 3-part program consists of 37 Classroom hours and 120 Externship hours:
Part 1: 21-hour lecture and FAA Part 107 RPIC Exam review
Part 2: 16 hour “hands-on” sUAS Pilot training
Part 3: 120 hour Externship to be completed within 6 months after successful completion of Parts 1 and 2. This program is designed to optimally prepare you to perform the duties of a Commercial RPIC that are required in any commercial drone setting including cinematic, construction, public safety, realty, surveying, and transportation. Students learn to assist established Commercial sUAS operators in “real-life” situations.
Course Work Requirements:
• Attend 21 hours in-class; regular attendance required
• Complete homework, successfully pass quizzes and exams
• Complete successfully 16 hours of sUAS flight training
• Complete successfully 120 hour externship
• Internet and email access
High School Diploma or GED, or High School Senior (Parent/Guardian Release form required if under 18)
Schedule and Fees:
Part 1: FAA Part 2107 RPIC Exam Course
4421X Fee: $399
3 Saturdays, 8:00 am-4:00 pm
Part 2: sUAS Pilot Training Course
Prerequisite: Successful completion of Part 1 and/or have a RPIC Certificate
4422X Fee: $499
2 Saturdays, 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Part 3: Externship
Prerequisite: Successful completion of Part 1 and Part 2, and have a RPIC Certificate
The 120-hour externship to be scheduled with instructor and completed within 6 months
after completion of Part 2.
4423X Fee: $799
South Bay/Torrance Area location
Program includes all classroom lab materials and
RPICs work in a variety of fields (agriculture, cinema, logistics, public safety, real estate, surveying, transportation). Most work full time, but many work part time.
US Dept. of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics:
The estimated annual compensation for a RPIC is between $25,000 and $70,000, depending upon expertise and the equipment they are operating.
A 2013 report released by the trade group, the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, projected more than 100,000 new jobs in unmanned aircraft by 2025. Several factors will lead to increased demand for RPIC as the technology evolves.
Barry Brennan is the President and founder of Flying Lion, Inc. (FLI), a full service sUAS Solutions Company. Flying Lion is a drone service provider to Law Enforcement / Public Safety Agencies which provides On-demand drone Air Support, training, and equipment. Additionally, Barry has over 13 years’ experience as a reserve police officer and 4 years as a drone pilot.